GwendolynGrace

Gwendolyn Grace Books

An Unlikely Duchess

An Unlikely Duchess - Nadine Millard 3.5-4 stars. It's not the books fault, it's mine. Be sure to read the full review to understand why!

ARC provided to G the Book Diva Blog in exchange for an honest review

A proper Regency Romance, very well written and perfectly put together. I think a lot of time and thought were put into this story. I instantly believed the attraction and the obstacles Edward and Rebecca faced because of it. I liked how unconventional and free spirited Rebecca was and how cute she seemed to Edward. This story had everything I loved in my historical romances EXCEPT for the steam. Like I said, it's me not the book. The reason I love HR so much is because being alone with someone you are not married to simply isn't done. Taking the risk of being caught at any moment doing something scandalous is thrilling to me. I love for the hero to pull the heroine into a darkened corner and have his wicked way with her. I kept waiting to Edward to ravish Rebecca and that never happened...well to my standards anyway. Maybe if I had known not to expect it, I would have liked the story better.

If you don't need steam in your stories, this would be a 5 star read. The only thing I can compare it to is maybe a Jane Austen type of read but with a more modern voice, if that makes sense.

Don't pass it up! Enjoy :)